Saturday, January 4, 2014

Bang Cut and Snow Time

Much to the relief of Alex, I am giving up my home hair cutting business. So this morning we head to the West Village boutique kids hair salon (yes, a salon) specializing in children's cuts. I ignore the price tag and console myself with the thought that this isn't a full on fifty buck cut - it's just a bang trim. I like to think to myself that really, I'm saving money.

Here we are at the salon. Mr. Bear picks the antique car chair. His stylist (yes, stylist) gets to work. Mommy is a little jealous that she doesn't have a stylist. Nor does she have a cool antique car to sit on when she does get her hair cut.


Mr. Bear is not digging his high-end experience.


But being the expert that she is, our stylist keeps on, undeterred by B's squirming. In fact, she doubles down with her secret weapon - a Cars dvd. Mommy puts that item on her "Things To Bring on a Flight so the Bear Won't Freak Out" list.


Exposed to probably two other cartoon episodes in his life (both Elmo), the Bear is captivated by the Cars DVD and goes into TV baby oblivion. Voila - his bang treatment is complete (yes, treatment - this being the fancy, schmancy place that it is).


Mommy gets distracted by a toy next to her (the salon is also smartly a toy shop). She wonders if this would have been Daddy's dream toy when he was a kid.


There's only one problem though. I'm horrified by the bang cut - it reminds me of my Asian girl haircut days that scarred me. I also think about how maybe, just maybe, the Bear will get a go-see for a baby ad try-out, and there's no way (Jose!) that he's going to show up with this Asian girl 'do. So I convince Daddy that the Bear needs a full haircut (so much for saving money!)

Already looking much better.


Ta da! Ready for a baby GQ commercial!


After the whole hair shebang (like the play on words there?), we head outside to admire the day-old snow. Having spent the last two weeks in sunny Florida and South/Central America, the Bear is confused by the white stuff.


Check out the Bear's gloves - they almost drag on the ground when he walks. The matching red checkered hat, however, fits him like a yamaka so Daddy lets the Bear borrow his green one. Notice that it fits the Bear pretty well given his 99 percentile circumference head.

Daddy in his advanced negative 20 degree below jacket takes pity on the Bear's non-sub zero outfit and zips the Bear up.



Mr. Bear is still getting used to the white stuff and does a face plant.


After popping back up, Mr. Bear has another spill. This time on his bottom.


Daddy steadies Mr. Bear to save him from another fall.


My favorite snow shot.


No comments:

Post a Comment