Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Photo Tour: Croatia Old City Dubrovnik Walls Day 4

Going on a photo tour is completely unlike anything I've ever experienced before. You drive to a location and then walk to a couple spots. When you get to the spot, you will take at least half a dozen shots at different angles - looking up, looking down, behind a rock, peeking behind a wall, on your belly, up stairs... Then you check out what your neighbor is doing, and if you haven't struck that pose yet (Madonna-like), you go and strike it and get that shot. I have developed quite the knack for copy catting, creepily one step behind Roman, our photo guide. When he takes a shot, I take a look at his screen, and then attempt to take the same shot. Never mind that his camera cost at least $5,000 and that it has super wide angle which means he can take the whole planet earth on his camera while I'm restricted to a couple centimeters, I still attempt the shot.

So unlike the Trafalgar tour back when I was a senior in college and I headed to Portugal, Spain, and Morocco for three weeks where we were hustled on a bus for hours on end, deposited at museums and restaurants and pit stops ever half hour, and then hustled back on the bus, this is quite the different tour. Besides the two hour lunches and dinners, we actually go back to the same spot. Because you know, the light is different say at 11am vs 2pm vs 4pm vs 6pm vs 8pm... Who knew?

It shouldn't be surprising then that we found ourselves back in the old city of Dubrovnik (which by the way, is also the site where they shot scenes from Game of Thrones - and yes, I never saw the series, but it is still cool for me given that I read that super long epic of a novel). We spent several hours walking on the wall, passed by Spanish teens, old couples from England, and lots of Japanese. Never once was I prompted to move along or to hurry. I just walked a couple steps, shot a couple shots, walked a couple steps, and shot a couple more. I think my mom would like this tour if instead of camera shots every couple steps, she could down some chocolate.

We did see a pirate ship while walking on the wall, and Alan, our very witty Brit (who lives in SF now) joked, "How much does corn cost for a pirate?" Me: "What?" Alan: "A buck an ear!" 

Alan didn't stop with that one. He continued, "And how much does a pirate's treasure cost?" 
Me: "Huh?"
Alan: "An arm and a leg!"

And with that, let's move on with the pictures!























































































No comments:

Post a Comment