Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Photo Tour: Croatia Korcula Day 3

Today we drove two hours to a little island called Korcula. When we arrived, we took the customary 45 minute coffee break (where Marsha and I dashed off to take some photos while the boys drank). Of course, boys being boys, they asked the most important question last. “When is the ferry to Korcula?” The coffee store manager replied, “Why, it leaves in five minutes.” We shrieked, “Five minutes?! We’ll never make it!” So we went from snail to Superman pace almost having a head-on collision with the police cars. Somehow, the Greek (I mean Croatian) Gods were with us, and there was one parking spot left and three people in line waiting to get on the ferry. Whew! After the short 15 minute ferry, we arrived at Korcula. Roman, our tour guide told us, “In case you get lost, we’ll meet back here in two hours.” “Two hours?” we cried, “Will that be enough?” Roman laughed, “Yes, definitely.” And yes, definitely was right. It took about 15 minutes to walk around the entire island. If you were walking slow. So we did about twenty laps and took a photo of every nook and cranny of that island.

We then had lunch (early dinner?) at 4pm at a seaside restaurant where the waiter chatted for 15 minutes before getting us menus (I can be crabby when I’m hungry). I had the vegetarian Boca platter (grilled veggies with croutons) and some of Marsha’s spaghetti (I am tending to be her garbage clean-up since she barely eats anything). I also had about a half bottle of olive oil – the most wonderful olive oil ever! Roman’s friend Ivan told us a story about the difference between grapes and olives.

“You see, grapes are like women. You leave them for two years and come back, and voila! They are gone! But olives… olives are like mothers. You leave them for ten, twenty, thirty years. Don’t call or take care of them or anything. But when you come back, there they are patiently waiting for you. That is our olive trees here. The one in my background is a thousand years old. Can you believe that?”

And yes, I believed, especially with olive oil dripping down my chin.

After a two hour (yes, two hour – these guys like to down a bottle of wine for meals), we headed back to Dubrovnik where we stopped by a beautiful church and also the bridge. I practiced setting up my tripod and am very proud, except I just realized that part of the tripod is still on my camera. Ha!


















































































































No comments:

Post a Comment