Sunday, September 20, 2015

Mystery Trip Revealed

The roots to our Mystery Trips date back to 2009 when I was starting my school and was working 80 hour weeks. All my energy and attention was focused on the school and I would barely be able to listen to Alex asking for my opinion on our upcoming vacation. So imagine my surprise when we landed in Venezuela, and we within a few hours, we were hiking up one of the peaks with 50 pound backpacks full of cans of vegetables and beans. Five days later when we finally summited (and I had major altitude sickness and was throwing up), I was relieved to be finally heading back down only to hear that we had yet another peak to summit. And this one was going to be harder and higher, requiring rock climbing. I was not the happiest camper and verbally shared my lack of enthusiasm with Alex. Poor guy responded, “But I told you about the plans and asked you what you thought – you said that this sounded like a good option.” Me, “Really? Are you sure?” Alex, “Yes, I double and triple checked just to make sure.” Me, “Oh.”

Hence, the Mystery Trip was born. I would not know anything about our trips. Because likely I would either not be listening or engaged enough to actually internalize what we were agreeing to. And Alex wouldn’t have to deal with my surprise (as well as not-so-happy-camper attitude).

So we’ve had about half a dozen Mystery Trips so far. Internationally, there’s been Iceland (hiking), Greenland (kayaking), Republic of Georgia (ice glacier hiking, horseback riding), and Oman (canyoneering). Domestically, there’s been the Florida Everglades (canoeing) and Wyoming Wind River Range (hiking).

The formula is pretty consistent. Alex gives me a pack list a week before – it’s full of adventure sportswear and camping equipment. We head to the airport, and I ultimately don’t know our destination until we’ve gotten off the plane, driven, and actually get outfitted for the adventure. (Oman, for example, was tricky. We had a flight to Dubai – so I thought that was where we were headed. Alex laughed and said, “Nope, not it.” I fell asleep in our 4x4 and the next thing I knew, we were in a place called Oman – which I’m pretty sure I had heard of before but definitely not sure where it was.

All that said, this year – for the first time - our destination was revealed right before the trip. My mom flew to NYC to take care of the Bear while we were gone for our 12 days (thanks Mom!). She was making friendly conversation and said, “So, are you excited to go to Utah?” And so the cat was out of the bag.

We actually headed to Zion, which is where we met 11 years ago. Sounds romantic, but in typical Alex-trip planning fashion, the trip was quite the adventure where I was proud (and relieved) to have survived.

Would you rather…
… Go rock climbing in 103 degree weather in the hot desert with rock that is almost too hot to touch
… Or go hiking in a narrow slot canyon where they have signs everywhere warning that any rain may lead to a deadly flash flood – AND it actually does rain that night and you are scared that your tent may get washed away in the flood
… Or go hiking in a narrow slot canyon and find yourself face to face with a rattlesnake that you almost stepped on – thank goodness for his rattle
… Or drop into a slot canyon that requires not just wading but actually doing multiple swims through 30 degree weather – and you are freezing to death
… Or drop into another slot canyon – this one is the Most Dangerous Hike in the Country – because of the risk of dying from flash floods – and there is one right before you start the hike and one that starts at the end of your hike. You also find 2 rattle snakes on the route and need to wade through frigid water up to your shoulders. Not to mention the countless quicksand that suck you all the way to your waste before you barely scramble out.


So many options! Yet… this is a trip planned by Alex. So luckily (??) you don’t have to choose, you can have it all. Oh yes! Your lucky day, since this is the 11 year anniversary of your meeting. Romantic, eh?


No comments:

Post a Comment