Sunday, September 20, 2015

Day 3: Zion Narrows - Top to Bottom + Rattlesnake

We get a “late” start this morning – at 7:30, we head out of the Travelodge to Zion. Clad with our special canyoning shoes (these are great in the water and can leak out all the water without carrying too much extra weight) and “adventure stick” (great for navigating the rocks). We take a shuttle to the top of the Zion Narrows for a 2 day back packer. On the hour long shuttle ride, the driver tells us stories of the dangers of the flash floods but assures us that weather reports look favorable. Another official sign underscores his point, “Beware of any rain. Flash floods are immediate and deadly.”

The shuttle driver lets us know that our campsite (#1) will be an “easy hike” since it is the first one on the way down. Yet even as the route is flat, I am still struggling with navigating all the rocks and water. My eyes focused down for hours, I am surprise to hear Alex yell out. I turn and there he is pointing at a rattlesnake. It is about 5 feet, right where Alex was about to step as he attempted to rock climb one of the walls. Yikes.

This wakes me up though it is still a long slog to get to our campsite, and I am relieved when we finally get to Campsite #1.


We set up our nifty new desert tent (basically mesh where you can see the outside and stars), but in the middle of the night, it rains, and I panic, tugging at Alex, “Hurry! We need a roof!” Alex rushes to add the rain cover. The rain then pours, and my panic continues as I worry about the flash floods, “I’m scared, “ I tell Alex. Alex responds – not helping me with my confidence – “Me too.” Yikes.







































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment