Sunday, July 5, 2015

Brysonism Bonanza

Bryson-ism Bonanza

A bit of an obsessively detailed and long list, but the Bear is so hilarious, and I did a better job at capturing in the moment rather than relying on my sad, waning memory of mine.

Here goes:

1) Daddy sure has a good head start on making the Bear into his healthy image. The Bear has internalized that anything from a bakery or any cookies or ice cream or pizza (read: all of Mommy’s snacks) is not great for his health.

Mr. Bear pointing to Mommy’s oatmeal raisin cookie and turning to Daddy: Dada, does that make your tummy hurt?
Alex: Yes, cookies makes your tummy hurt.
Mr. Bear (looking knowingly at me…) and then after some thinking (where he taps his finger on his chin) he asks me: When I get older, can I eat a cookie?

2)
On the way to school, the Bear suddenly stopped and very seriously said: Wait. Did Daddy take his cars?
Me: What?
The Bear: His cars! (freaking out…) Did he take them?
Me: Cars? I dunno. I don’t think so.
The Bear: I feel sad. Dada didn’t take his cars.
Me: (Oh no! Got to do something before a full Bear meltdown.) … Uh, how about this? We can make a plan! That way, Daddy won’t forget his cars anymore.
The Bear: Yes, that is a good idea (he doesn’t really conjugate – so it’s always “that is” and not “that’s”). What is your idea? (yes, he truly talks like this. What 3 year old doesn’t?)
Me: Maybe we can line them up by the door? (me very hopefully…)
The Bear: (more tapping his chin…) Yes, I like that idea. Yes, we can do that.
(I made sure to tell Daddy not to forget his cars on his way to work going forward.)

3) Mr. Bear assigns jobs.
After going potty, Bryson told me: Ok, Mommy, it’s your job to flush the toilet.
Me: Are you sure? (I never do anything quickly, lest the Bear changes his mind.)
The Bear: Yes, Mommy’s job is to flush the toilet. My job is to close the door.
Me: Ok, what’s Daddy’s job?
The Bear: Daddy’s job is to cook! Silly!
Me: Yes, that is right, Mr. B!

4) Daddy told me later that he and the Bear were planning to make soup.
Daddy: We should we put in our soup?
The Bear: Snakes and snails and worms and germs!
Daddy: Wow – that is some kind of soup!

5) On the way to school, Mr. Bear likes to make sure that I have everything packed. Oh man – and do I get it if I accidentally forget something.
The Bear: Did you pack my bubbles?
Me: Bubbles? Was I supposed to pack bubbles? (I try to play dumb. I do recall that he did ask me about them at the park and I did promise to bring them the next day.)
The Bear: Yes! Bubbles! You said you would pack them. (That Bear sure does have a memory!)
Me: Ok, I will bring them tomorrow. Promise!
The Bear: Ok. (He lets me off easy. Whew!) Can you bring my bubbles tomorrow so I can play with them at the park? (He is now double checking to make sure I have this implanted in my brain).
Me: (Trying to outsmart him.) How about you remind me to pack them when we get home after school?
The Bear: Yes, can you tell me when we get home to remind you? (Drat – the Bear wins again!)

6) I overheard the Bear telling Daddy as we got in our rental car…
The Bear: Daddy, do you remember when Mommy and I went to the Filipino restaurant and she forgot my stick and wouldn’t go back?

How does that Bear remember? That was like 3 months ago!

7) The Bear loves to count. One morning on the walk to school, he started counting in Mandarin. Then he switched to Spanish. Then he looked at me and asked, “Do you know French?”

8) Mr. Bear and I make potty trips together. One day, he asked me, “Do you where underwear?”
Me: Yes, I do!
The Bear: What about Daddy? Diapers?
Me: Yes!

9) In the bath, Bryson and Daddy play pretend and make smoothies.
Daddy: What are the options?
The Bear: Strawberry or blueberry or banana.
Daddy: Oh, I would like some strawberry please.
The Bear: Nice manners, Dada. Good job saying please.

10) This July 4th weekend, we headed to our new house in New Paltz.
The Bear: Where are all the people? Where are all the trucks? Where did everybody go?

Later, we took the Bear on a hike and he was astounded by being in nature, stopping every minute or so to point out something.
The Bear: Mama, dada! Look! Look!
Alex and I head over to where the Bear is crouched down, his face full of wonder: It’s an ant! It’s black!

We are also trying to teach him what the country vs city is like.
The Bear: Yes, New Paltz is the country. But what about the United States. Is that a country?
Alex: Yes, that is the country we live in.
The Bear: We also live in New Paltz. So is New Paltz a country?
Alex: No, that is a city.
The Bear: So is the United States a city?

I was taking no part in that one!

11) I am trying to teach the Bear how to spell. He has become really good a rhyming. Now we are sounding out words and spelling.
The Bear: How do you smell car?
Me: You mean “spell”?
The Bear: Yes, smell!
Me: Spell?
The Bear: Yes, how do you spell kiwi?
I was taken back to 4th grade when I didn’t even know what a kiwi was, let alone spell it. Wow Mr. B.

12) We are teaching the Bear about our childhoods and how we grew up with siblings.
The Bear asks Daddy: You mean you were little like me once?
Alex: Yes, I was little like you.
The Bear: When you were little - who were you with?
Alex: Daddy grew up with Aunt Corey.
The Bear: Was Aunt Corey little too?
Alex: Yes, Daddy and Aunt Corey were both little once.
The Bear: Ohhhh.

The Bear: What about you Mommy? When you were little – who were you with?
Me: Mommy grew up with Uncle Rob.
The Bear: Ohhhh.

The Bear: And what about Nana? When she was little – who did she grow up with?
Alex: Uncle Charlie and Aunt Missy and Uncle Earl.
The Bear: Ohhhh.

Alex turns to me and says: Woah -we are blowing his mind right now.

13) When Mr. Bear is at MKC daycare, they have taught him that all adults have a Ms. or Mr. in front of them. So it is Ms. Kimberly and Ms. Sabrina.

So I suppose it isn’t too surprising that he sometimes calls me, Ms. Mommy.

14) Mr. Bear and Daddy were talking about how much the car costs.
The Bear: Twenty thousand dot com!

15) Mr. Bear and I were walking to his modeling appointment, and he pointed to the construction.
The Bear: What are they doing?
Me: They are making a building.
The Bear: What are they making it with?
Me: It looks like wood. Where do you think they get the wood?
The Bear: Money! (the Bear sure has internalized that money makes the world go ‘round).
Me: Right… money. But also trees, right?

16) From Talia, the babysitter… We told her that Bear usually goes to bed at 9:30, but that day, he didn’t actually take a nap.
She texts me at 8:30pm: Hey Analiza, it's Talia. Just letting you know that he's already in bed. I was going to wait till 9:30 but he asked to go now haha. I guess he really is tired.



No comments:

Post a Comment