Wednesday, January 24, 2018

10-Day Silent Meditation Cliff Notes

A few weeks ago, I finished my 10-day Vipassana experience in Monterrey, Mexico and am on a very peaceful and loving buzz. What a way to kick off 2018!
This is my second Vipassana, and such a difference. The first was in Jessup, Georgia, and was in an actual Vipassana Center (versus this one which was a rented facility). The first time was 10 years ago on a dare (from myself) - 10 days of silence with a blabbermouth like me sounded ridiculously difficult, and of course this meant that I needed to give it a go. And just like that, I booked a safari and bungee trip to Africa and a month later found myself with ringing in my ears from the tremendous silence of feeling very, very alone. Because it was a Center built for Vipassana, everything was set-up so that my experience was quiet (I think the meditation hall was sound-proofed) and I had zero interaction with others - they told us explicitly not to look up because this would likely lead us to looking at others’ faces. So I looked at the ground and got to know slippers and clogs and even when eating (plain cold cereal and nuts for breakfast and more nuts and quinoa for lunch and an apple for dinner), we were set up to face a wall, not another person.
 
Contrast that with this experience where there were no explicit instructions not to look up, and I actually got to know people beforehand during the pre-dinner - and as I looked up to admire the beautiful mountains next to the center would accidentally lock eyes with someone. Add to that the warm delicious food (tamales, oatmeal, hot chocolate, chocolate cake, cookies), and while the weather was freezing (I slept in my down jacket, beanie, double socks in my cold weather sleeping bag on a mattress on the floor - no heat), my belly was full and I was not spending my time fantasizing about food (which is what the first experience was pretty much all about - kinda fun if I think about it).
But now I am 40, and I was back not on a Double Dare but on a real mission to clean out my impurities. So enough about the food. Here is what I learned.

A summary of Dhamma (the law of nature):
·       This is not a religion - you can be Christian, Muslim, Jew or whatever. It is about Sheila (living morally), Saditya (mastery and taming of the mind), and Panya (cleaning out the mind of impurities and developing wisdom). This is universal for everyone and you can still stick with your religion. No prob!
·       As much as I can try to explain it to you, this is less about theory and more about practice and experiencing it for yourself. A scientist came to study the practice and what he found was that it transformed him from being a surly and angry person, father, and co-worker to a loving person. That is the proof. But you can’t take it from anyone except by doing it yourself.
·       So here is Analiza’s Cliff Notes. Sankaras are passed along from people who die and they get passed along to babies. So that’s why when people are born, they are born with misery. But we don’t know this - it is at the subconscious level. And when your mind sees matter (something), there is a reaction in your body (again, this is subconscious - so you aren’t usually aware of the reaction), and it is usually pleasant or unpleasant. If it is pleasant then without awareness, it turns into craving, then attachment. And then if unpleasant, it turns into aversion. 
·       What does this mean in plain English? As an example, you have a loved one who leaves you (perhaps they meet someone new or perhaps they pass away). You are attached to them and you cannot let them go. This is sure to lead to misery. Or as another example, you see yourself getting older and are attached to looking young. You are averse to aging and cling to youth. This is sure to lead to misery.
·       This is how we build up sankaras and end up being miserable. And then we die and pass it along to a new baby.
·       But Buddha (which means enlightened one) found a way out. Basically it is to sit and observe the sensations on your body. When you notice a pleasant sensation, know that it is only temporary and will change. Better not to cling and get attached. And also if there is an unpleasant sensation, know that this is only temporary and will change. Better not to cling and get attached. Equanimity regardless. And thus by having sensitivity at all times to the sensations, we can get rid of all of our attachments and be free. And then generate loving kindness, peace, harmony, and Good will. 
·       Another thing I learned is that the more we are about I/me/my, the more ego-driven and attached we are. Which leads to misery.
·       And that happiness occurs at three levels 1) temporary pleasure (drinking or travel or sex, etc), 2) being in flow where you forget about time (like skiing - but this is also temporary) or 3) getting rid of attachments (this is the most permanent). And that while it is tempting to think that people who have the most money are happiest, actually they end up the most miserable because they are very attached to their money.
·       People who are miserable don’t keep their misery to themselves. They make people around them miserable too. And it is impossible to have peace and harmony and loving kindness.
·       It is no one else’s fault if I am unhappy but my own. If I am negative, this generates more misery. So choose to stop. If I am angry, observe my body, not the object of my anger, and understand this too will pass. I am responsible for my misery or happiness. No one else. Key is to observe and not react.
 
Ok, what does that mean for me?
·       I am going to commit to an hour in the morning and 15 min in the evening everyday. They recommend an hour in both the morning and evening. (There is a specific meditation Buddha teaches that is very different than using visions etc which doesn’t go to the subconscious level and get rid of sankaras.)
·       By the way, important things to pack include: slip on shoes, beanie/gloves (it can get cold), sleeping bag to sleep and also prop up your knees, back Support (I should have brought the one I used when I was pregnant), roller for your muscles to work out the stress (I hit the jackpot because my roommate had one I borrowed), ear plugs, eye mask

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment